Monday, August 17, 2009

New paintings on Multimedia Artboard

These are some small watercolors that I did over the weekend using Art Boards from Multimedia. Although I could have painted directly on the pre-prepared surface of the boards, I prefer a rougher texture so I painted these seascapes on 140# rough watercolor paper. I then mounted the paper onto the boards using acrylic gel medium, and varnished the paintings so they can be framed without glass.

This 4.75" x 7.5" painting is mounted on the Multimedia Ultralight Artist Panel, which is archival foamboard.



This 5" x 7" painting is mounted on the Multimedia Artboard, which is a hardboard product with a archival surface. Both products have a smooth archival surface that is ready to paint.

I've been wanting to try some boards for mounting watercolors, and I've found that these product samples from Multimedia Artboards were easy to use and gave me excellent results.
For more information about these artboards, check out http://www.multimediaartboard.com/ or follow @archival on twitter.

posted by Annie Strack @ 12:18 PM   2 Comments

2 Comments:

At September 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM , Anonymous Ruth Vilmi said...

Hi Annie,
Varnishing your watercolours sounds like a very practical idea as framing with glass presents all kinds of problems when exhibiting or selling work. Does varnishing change the look of the painting or change the colours? Does the glossiness spoil the look, or have you found something suitably matt? Do you use a brush or a spray varnish?

I enjoyed looking at your work and reading your tips, and look forward to hearing from you soon:-)
Ruth

 
At September 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Annie Strack said...

Hi Ruth,
I used three coats of spray gloss varnish and the result is more of a satin finish than gloss. It doesn't affect the paint color or texture of the paper. Perhaps if I applied more coats of the varnish it would have more of a glossy finish, but I was happy after just three. Spray varnish also comes in matte, if you don't want any shine in the finish. I think later coats can probably be brushed on, but the first coat must be sprayed so that you don't 'move' the watercolor paint with the brush while applying. I really like the option of framing without glass, and I plan to begin mounting some of my watercolors on cradled art boards which then won't need to be framed, either.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.