Friday, September 24, 2010

New Studio!

For some reason, I suddenly feel compelled to paint larger! This is a triptych that I'm currently working on - each panel is 24"x18". When finished, I will mount this painting on deep cradled art boards, and finish off with several coats of varnish.

The use of the cradled art boards and varnish allows me to present these watercolor paintings ready to hang without the use of frames or glass.

I love the studio space in my new home! As you can see, there's plenty of room for my custom workbench and lot's of light!

Plenty of storage space and lot's of walls to hang paintings...


and plenty of floor space to set up extra tables and chairs so I can teach classes right in my own studio now!
I think, maybe the new larger studio might have something to do with my sudden impluse to paint bigger!


posted by Annie Strack @ 4:23 PM   5 Comments

5 Comments:

At September 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Such a nice studio! I wish I had a space like that!

 
At September 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Rita said...

Awesome new studio! Enjoy it and have fun painting bigger. :)

 
At September 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM , Anonymous Rick said...

What a delightful space! I wish you much creativity, inspiration, and happiness in your new studio.

 
At October 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Steve Lents said...

Annie, why do I see so many artist mount their work on white matt board?

 
At October 12, 2010 at 4:43 PM , Anonymous Annie Strack said...

Thanks everyone, for all the comments!

Artists who use mats when framing their paintings usually choose white (or off-white) mats for a number of reasons.
1. truly archival mats only come in white. Cotton mats are available in colors, but the dye pigments used for colors can leach acid over time.
2. Most juried art shows and art galleries require white mats because it shows off the artwork to the best advantage, without the distractions of added colors from mats.
3. Because a mat can over power an artwork with a specific color, customers are less inclined to purchase art with colored mats.

But there's no law that says you can't use colored mats if you want! There are hundreds of colors of mat board available at frame shops, and after you choose a painting or print that you like you can have the mats changed to any color, and you can easily have it changed again anytime you want to change your decor. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.