Friday, June 15, 2018

Packing for Plein Air in Europe

If you're going with me to Provence this summer for my plein air painting workshop, you won't have to bring the following items with you because they will be provided for you!

This photo (above) shows some of the items being provided. Each artist will receive a 4x6 spiral bound sketchbook that they can fill with scenes from our trip, as well as studies, thumbnails, and notes. A pencil, eraser, black ink pen and a white ink pen round out the sketching supplies. Each artist will also get a 12x16 block of Cezanne watercolor paper from Hahnemuhle! Each block contains 10 sheets of 140# rough watercolor paper. Disposable accessories such as sand paper, salt, slide mounts (view finders), tape, Magic Eraser, and paper towels are also provided. Folding chairs will be provided by Mathieu, our host in Provence. 

What else should you bring? Well, this photo (above) shows the supplies that I use, which is a good example of what to bring. Top of the photo is my watercolor field easel and plein air umbrella in it's carrying bag. You don't have to bring an easel. Most of the watercolor artists in my plein air workshops paint while sitting in a chair, holding their painting on their lap and setting their supplies on the ground next to them. I prefer to stand while I paint, so I use an easel. The wire shelf in this photo fits on my easel. See an example in this previous blogpost
The red bottle in the lower left is a reusable water bottle. You must pack and carry your own water with you each day. 
My brush roll contains more brushes than I will actually use -- it is the one thing I tend to over pack. You will need an assortment of good rounds up to a size 12 or so, preferably sable or kolinsky, or a really good synthetic equivalent. At least one squirrel mop/quill, size 5, more or less. A 1" flat. If you have other favorites, bring them. 
Water container -- I use collapsible pet bowls. 
An extra block of paper -- this is optional, as Hahnemuhle is generously providing all of my students with a 12x16 block of 140# rough -- but if you want the option of using a different size or surface texture for some of your paintings then I suggest you bring one along. I'm bringing at least one small block of cold pressed, just for variety.

Assorted watercolor paints. I bring a small set of pans when I travel. Please do NOT bring tubes of watercolor paint. If you do not have a set of pans, you can get an inexpensive (or an expensive one, if you prefer -- it's your choice) folding travel palette and fill it with paint from your tubes, and let the paint dry in the palette. Give the paint at least a week to dry before you travel with it. 


You will need masking fluid. You can see in the photo that I transfer mine into a nail polish bottle. This allows me to self-store the brush in the bottle. It's a lot of work to clean out a nail polish bottle, so if you're thinking about it, you want to start that now. Or look at some alternatives available from your art supply stores. Be sure to wrap your masking fluid carefully in case it leaks in transit, and pack it in your checked bag -- do not attempt to carry it on the airplane. 

Also, I didn't include it in the photos, but you will need a hat for shade. It's summer, and you will need it. I also forgot to include a t-square. I will bring mine, of course, because I really just can't live with it. It's just a clear plastic t-square, only 12 inches long. The kind you find in the back-to-school section of the dollar store. I use it to square up my drawings of buildings and architectural features, developing symmetry, keeping my horizons level, and for determining perspective. You will also need a backpack or tote bag to carry your painting supplies each day as we travel to our painting locations. 

As for clothes, I pack light. You will catch me wearing the same thing on several occasions. I will also pack a few large ziplock baggies, to pack up some delicious french cheeses and other gourmet goodies that I might buy in the markets. Because painting and touring is only part of the adventure -- there's eating, drinking, and shopping, too! 

posted by Annie Strack @ 6:12 PM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.