Tuesday, April 1, 2014

County Collectors Painting at Chester County Studio Tour

I've just finished this watercolor painting for the County Collectors series of the Chester County Studio Tour. Each painter in the tour will offer one 6x6 painting on panel in a black floater frame for a special low price. If you want to buy this one, you'll have to come out to my studio bright and early when the tour starts, before someone else buys it! (update: this painting is sold) 
I started this painting by masking out the boat and painting the backgound. I painted this on rough paper with a light touch, so my brush skipped over the surface of the paper and left some white showing through like sunlight sparkles on the water. I used a soft brush for this stage of the painting, a #12 Faux Kolinksy from Dynasty Brush. This is a line of brushes that are soft, yet have a great amount of spring and a sharp point.
I often paint upside-down -- turning my painting and my reference photos upside-down, that is! This helps me see the perspective better, and identify the details more accurately. This is a small painting, so I'm using my #8 Faux Kolinsky from Dynasty Brush to paint the details.
After I finished painting, I trimmed the painting down to size and sprayed it with a couple of coats of clear varnish.
Next, I brushed a coating of acrylic medium onto my 6x6 Ampersand board. The acrylic medium is the binder that I use to adhere the painting onto the surface. Watercolor paintings that are mounted on board can be varnished and don't need mats or glass when framed.
And here it is, finished and framed! I call this painting "Waiting" because that little red dinghy is waiting to take me away. Be sure to come out to the Chester County Studio Tour, and come to my studio early if you want to get this before someone else snaps it up! (This painting has been sold)

Check out my free video tutorial  on You Tube to learn how to mount your watercolor painting to board!

posted by Annie Strack @ 6:21 PM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.