Saturday, February 22, 2014

Painting Snowy Landscapes in Watercolor

Here's some of my 12x16 demonstration paintings from my watercolor workshop on snowy landscapes that I taught yesterday. The first one is a limited palette landscape, using only Payne's Grey and Ultramarine. I started by masking out the white areas -- the snow on top of the fence rails, a few branches of the maple trees,  and on the pine boughs. Then using a 1" flat brush I painted wet on wet to get the dark snowy effect in the background and lifted out a few of the branches with a damp brush. I used a #12 Faux Squirrel Reservoir Liner from Dynasty Brush to paint the fence and some of the branches in the maple trees in just a few simple calligraphic strokes. After is was completely dried, I used sand paper and a razor knife to scrape off a few more highlights in the snow.
 In the next painting, I introduced a full palette of colors as well as all of the techniques that I introduced in the previous painting.
I also show my students how to use different types of brushes and tools on their paintings. Here's Linda trying out one of the Dynasty Brush liners on her painting.
I've got lot's more classes and workshops coming up, be sure to check out my Calendar Page to see the full selection!

In other news, I'm heading out in a few days to go back to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. If you're in the area, be sure to give me a ring or follow my Facebook page for info on where you can meet up with me!

posted by Annie Strack @ 3:36 PM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.