Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Try-it Dots from Daniel Smith Art Supplies

My friends at Daniel Smith art supplies sent me this wonderful new watercolor product called Try-it Dots. The product has 238 small paintable samples of Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors, and includes the description and properties of each color. One of the things I love about this product is that it enables me to see and test actual pigments, and allows me to try a huge assortment of colors without investing in a lot of expensive tubes of paint. The Try-it Dots is a fabulous full reference chart of actual colors, and it’s also a full set of usable paint samples.

As you can see in the photo, so far I’ve mostly tried the blues and greens and I still have a lot of pigments left to work with. Here are four small 5”x8” seascapes that I’ve created this week, using only the Daniel Smith Try-it Dots.




Some of the colors (like the iridescents, interferenscents, pearlescents, and duochromes) are too prismatic in appearance to work well with my traditional style of seascapes and landscapes, but these metallic pigments are a perfect addition to the palette that I use for my abstract watercolor paintings and will add a whole new dimension and exciting new trend to my series.

posted by Annie Strack @ 11:17 AM   8 Comments

8 Comments:

At February 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM , Anonymous Deborah @DANIELSMITH said...

Hi Annie,

Your paintings turned out beautifully!

Thank you!

~Deborah @DANIELSMITH

 
At February 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Annie Strack said...

Thanks Deborah! These Daniel Smith Try-it Dots are a fantastic product! I love it that every color is included, and I can try all the colors to see which ones I want without having to buy a lot of tubes! Being able to see and try the actuall pigments takes all the 'guessing' out of paint shopping!

 
At February 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM , Anonymous Martha Marshall said...

Fabulous paintings! And what a neat marketing tool for Daniel Smith. Gotta have some.

 
At February 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Annie Strack said...

Hi Martha, Thanks for the compliment! I agree, it's a brilliant marketing tool, and a brilliant and resourceful (and very affordable) tool for artists!

 
At February 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Sara Mathewson said...

I love Daniel Smith watercolors! They are my favorite and I have been tempted by these dots. I have some that have been sent with previous orders but not the whole lot of them. i have been focusing on pastels for the past couple of years, but I am inclined to want to try these out! Your paintings turned out great with them!

 
At February 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Franziska San Pedro said...

Hi Annie,
those look beautiful, very bright colors. Can't wait to see your abstract work made from these samples. That's very nice of Daniel Smith's to have you test them (and blog about them), fantastic idea,

Franziska San Pedro
@FlavorDesigns

 
At March 9, 2011 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Annie Strack said...

Hi Sara, thanks for the comment! The set of 238 Try-it Dots are a great way to have some of every color you might ever need!

 
At March 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Annie Strack said...

Thakns Franziska! I haven't had time do paint any abstracts with these yet, but i'm looking forward to incorporating the duochomatic and other luminescent colors on them. The metallic paints are perfect for that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.