Friday, October 22, 2010

Mounting a Watercolor Triptych on Cradled Art Boards

Wanna see how I make a watercolor triptych on cradled art boards? Watch the video below!



Each of these cradled art boards is 24"x18", making the finished size of the triptych painting 24"x54". These boards have a pre-primed paintable surface suitable for oils or acrylics, and a 1.5" deep cradled edge of clear wood that I stained and varnished a deep ebony color. After painting the triptych on 3 sheets of 24"x18" watercolor paper, I used acrylic gel medium to mount the paintings onto the boards. After the medium dried, I trimed the edges and sealed the painting using several coats of an archival, UV resistant, non-yellowing, acrylic varnish.
The result is a large watercolor triptych that can be hung and displayed without the use of frames, mats, or glass!

Here's how the finished painting looks, hanging on my studio wall!

posted by Annie Strack @ 12:33 PM   3 Comments

3 Comments:

At October 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM , Anonymous Deborah Wage said...

I like this. Nice tutorial

 
At November 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Amanda Trought said...

This was a great post, thank you for making it clear. Thanks for following my tweets.

Amanda
http://realityarts-creativity.blogspot.com

 
At March 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Eva-Maria Ruhl said...

Beautiful! Thanks for posting this tutorial, Annie. I have been wondering how to adhere paper to art board. Your work looks fantastic mounted!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.