Sunday, February 9, 2020

plein air in Chadds Ford

Last night was the opening reception for the Chadds Ford Winter Plein Air. This event is always held during the first week of February, and the weather makes it the most challenging plein air event in the country. Although this year's weather was not the worst, it was a close second. We painted in pouring rain, freezing cold, wind gusts up to 60 mph, snow squalls, and even tornado warnings. Still, it was a great event and I enjoyed it immensely. I turned in three wet paintings, although I forgot to photograph the first one before I turned it in so I can only show you the other two.

Painting at Fenton farm with Anne Buck and Yvonne Mucci. My hubby bought me a portable propane heater for the event, and you can see it glowing between our easels. We all bundled up and tucked hand warmers in our gloves, but the cold was brutal!


I turned in two oils and one watercolor. The first day I painted at the Brandywine battlefield. I had a class to teach in the morning, so I had a late start to the event and only painted in the afternoon. Still, it was enough time. The second day I went to Fenton farm and painted this 9x12 oil of the pasture.


On the last day, I went to Pocopson and painted this 12x16 watercolor of the confluence where the Pocopson creek flows into the Brandywine.
And here I am at the reception, with friends Jane Ramsey, Yvonne Mucci, and Anne Buck.

Oh, and there's more! This event usually does not have awards, but this year Blick sponsored three prizes for the artists. I won second -- a $200 gift certificate to Blick art supplies!


The paintings remain on exhibit at the Chadds Ford Historical Society's Visitor Center through March 13th.

posted by Annie Strack @ 2:07 PM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.